The National Leader of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Bola Tinubu, has revealed why he visited Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu on Saturday, days after men in army uniform carried out a massacre on #EndSARS protesters at the Lekki toll gate.
We had reported earlier that men suspected to soldiers of the Nigerian Army invaded a peaceful protest at Lekki toll gate on Tuesday evening, October 20, killing #EndSARS protesters in the process.
Days after the Lekki toll gate massacre, Tinubu paid a visit to Lagos State Governor, at the State House in Marina on Saturday, October 24, where he said those who were shot at the Lekki toll gate have questions to answer.
While addressing journalists after the meeting with the governor, Tinubu, a former governor of Lagos State, said he visited the incumbent governor, to ask him if he had anything to do with the killing of protesters at the Lekki Tollgate on Tuesday.
The APC National Leader said he could not understand the rationale behind the looting, arson, invasion of police stations, stealing of arms, and maiming of innocent persons that characterised the state for days.
We recalls that some Nigerians suspected to be hoodlums hijacked the #EndSARS protests nationwide. The thugs looted shops and set fire to several public and private properties, including Television Continental and The Nation newspaper, both of which have been linked to him. This followed the killing of some protesters at the Lekki toll plaza by soldiers.
Meanwhile, speaking to reporters after visiting the governor, Tinubu revealed the three questions he asked Governor Sanwo-Olu when he paid the Lagos Governor a visit over the #LekkiMassare.
“I came to ask him pointedly; did he order the attack, or if he didn’t order the attack, who ordered it? Was it to his knowledge that people were attacked? That was all I needed from him.”
Tinubu said since the government had already set up a judicial panel of enquiry to investigate the allegations of human right abuses by officers of the now disbanded Special Anti-Robbery Squad, people who suffered casualty during the gunshot Lekki incident should volunteer information to the government.
He added, “Those who suffered casualty during the gunshots need to answer some questions too; how were they there; how long were they there; what kind of characters are they? Even those we want to help, we still must extract information that would help the government to prepare in future or understand how and when to react.”
He said the government showed sensitivity in listening to the protesters and taking actions, but that he wondered why some people resorted to violence. “But where are we getting the looting, the carnage, burning, invasion of police stations, stealing of arms and maiming the innocent (from)? It’s handshake beyond the elbow,” he added.
Tinubu, when asked when he returned to the country following reports that he was in France all along, said, “I didn’t go nowhere; I’m a Lagosian. I still hold the title of the Asiwaju of Lagos. I’m still the Jagaban. Fake news is all over the place; they said Seyi my son was kidnapped, but he’s here with me and I didn’t pay any money to bring him here.”