Benue State Governor, Samuel Ortom has once again appealed to the military authorities to the ceasefire in the ongoing operation in parts of Konshisha Local Government Area of the State.
Governor Ortom said the appeal became necessary to prevent the loss of more innocent lives in the affected communities.
He sympathized with victims of the crisis and assured the people that his administration will ensure that no more lives are lost.
The Governor who briefed journalists on the development on Friday afternoon at the Benue Peoples House said a report from the Konshisha Council Chairman indicated that there was no operation today.
He stated that out of the weapons seized from the military by youths of the area, three had been recovered while he had directed the Local Government Chairman, traditional rulers, and other stakeholders to see that the remaining arms are recovered.
Governor Ortom confirmed that eight people, including militia members, were killed during the military operation and appealed to those fuelling the crisis in the media to desist from the act and support the government to find lasting peace in the area.
Answering questions from journalists, Governor Ortom said the deployment of soldiers to the warring communities of Konshisha and Oju was in compliance with President Muhammadu Buhari’s order to security agencies to shoot on sight, anyone in possession of illegal weapons.
He gave the assurance that the Benue State Government will ensure the demarcation of the boundary between the Bonta community of Konshisha and Okpute in Oju to put the dispute to rest.