Politics

40 Owo massacre victims get mass burial Friday

40 Owo massacre victims get mass burial Friday (Updated: 4 months ago)


The Catholic Diocese of Ondo has fixed Friday, June 17, 2022  for the mass burial of those who lost their lives in the terrorists attack on St. Francis Catholic Church, Owo , Ondo State last week Sunday.

 

According to the church, no fewer than 40 people died in the attack while many others sustained injuries.

 

The Diocese’s Director of Social Communication, Rev. Fr. Augustine Ikwu, confirmed the date of the mass burial to our correspondent on Monday.

 

According Ikwu, the mass burial would take place at the church’s new cemetery at Emure Road, Owo.

 

“The mass burial would take place at the new cemetery of the church on Friday in Owo,” he said.

He maintained that the number of the deceased still remained 40.

 

It was gathered that the injured victims are still receiving treatment at the Federal Medical Centre and the St. Louis Catholic Hospital both in Owo and some other private hospitals in the state.

 

However, no one has been arrested in connection with the attack.

 

 Meanwhile, the Lagos State Governor, Mr Babajide Sanwo-Olu, has declared a three-day mourning for the victims of the attack.

 

The governor, in a statement issued by the state Commissioner for Information and Strategy, Mr Gbenga Omostoso, on Monday, directed that all flags should fly at half-mast as part of decision to mourn the victims at the Southern Governors’ meeting.

 

Sanwo-Olu also urged Lagos residents and visitors to remain law-abiding and vigilant as the government is doing everything to ensure that peace continues to prevail in the state.

 

He said, “Flags are flying at half-mast in Lagos following Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu’s directive. The action is for three days to mourn the victims of the St. Francis Catholic Church, Owo, Ondo State, terrorist attack.

 

“The decision to mourn the victims came at a Southwest Governors’ June 10 virtual meeting, which reviewed the security situation in the region.

The communique issued after the meeting was signed by Governors Rotimi Akeredolu, Ondo; Kayode Fayemi, Ekiti; Gboyega Oyetola, Osun; Dapo Abiodun, Ogun; Seyi Makinde, Oyo and Babajide Sanwo-Olu of Lagos.

 

“The governors condemned in very strong terms the horrendous crime perpetrated by terrorists against the people and residents of Owo, Ondo State and, by extension, the peace-loving people of the South-West.”

Add a coment

Recent Posts

Olakira
Olakira
Toby Grey
Toby Grey
JeriQ
JeriQ
Pasuma
Pasuma
Cracker Mallo
Cracker Mallo
Brymo
Brymo
Dremo
Dremo
Wurld
Wurld
Buju
Buju
Akon
Akon
Danny S
Danny S
SuperBalat
SuperBalat
Eva Alordiah
Eva Alordiah
Rudeboy
Rudeboy
Diamond Jimma
Diamond Jimma
Oritse Femi
Oritse Femi
Terry G
Terry G
BigerTinz
BigerTinz
Sarkodie
Sarkodie
JamoPyper
JamoPyper
Faze
Faze
Magnito
Magnito
Jaywon
Jaywon
Oxlade
Oxlade
Ruger
Ruger
Yonda
Yonda
Koker
Koker
Qdot
Qdot
Stormyzino
Stormyzino
Zuchu
Zuchu
Yomi Blaze
Yomi Blaze
Sola Allyson
Sola Allyson
2Baba
2Baba
Banky W
Banky W
Olalakeside
Olalakeside
Asake
Asake
Peruzzi
Peruzzi
HarrySong
HarrySong
DJ Enimoney
DJ Enimoney
Zinoleesky
Zinoleesky
NAIJAKIT.COM

Trending Posts